Pinch of salt
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp pine nuts
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Italian Pesto is traditionally served stirred through pasta but it is delicious with lots of different dishes. I often spread it on the base of a pizza or stir some through a soup or casserole for extra flavour.
- Freeze pesto in ice cube trays or other small containers and then transfer to a plastic bag. Store in the freezer ready to add to your favourite dishes.
- If you don’t have enough basil you can add parsley to make up the amount.
- Pesto is the original Italian recipe but you can make a ‘pesto’ with any combination of green herbs and leaves such as spinach.
- You can also substitute the pine nuts with almonds or sunflower seeds.
- You don’t have to use cheese at all or can substitute with e.g. tasty cheese.