Pear cider is my favourite summer tipple – crisp and refreshing, not too sweet – and easy to make yourself at home. I have been buying home-brew kits from Mad Millie and trying out their range of different ales, ciders and ginger beer.
The Boutique Brewery Starter Kit comes with everything you need to make your first batch, including the fermenter, bottles, siphon, hydrometer, sterilizers, and the ingredient kit. Once you have all the equipment you just need to purchase a “Next Batch” ingredient kit in whatever style takes your fancy. The instructions are easy to follow (even though I read them a few times and watched the video before I got the courage to start). Even a complete beginner can make a perfect brew from these kits.
I have made quite a range now:
- Apple Cider – this is a good basic kit to try for your first batch.
- Spiced Apple Cider – I really like this as a winter drink served warm like a mulled wine. You just need to put your glass in the microwave for a minute.
- Elderflower Ale – I’m not much of a beer drinker but this light, fruity, slightly floral, ale is a nice refreshing summer drink.
- Old-fashioned Ginger Beer – this is an alcoholic ginger beer. It has biscuity flavour with a good ginger kick.
- Strawberry and Pear – this is a very fruity cider (but not too sweet if you leave out the sweetener) and perfect for making a Strawberry Champagne Cider Punch for a special occasion.
- And now Pear – this is now my preferred summer drink and I will be making it a lot more :-).